The pictures above were taken prior to 1982, when the house was granted historic status.
Pictures we have taken since we found the house and during the renovation are here on Flickr.
We found our house abandoned and vandalized. The owner had no interest in the house, just in the commercial value of the property it sat on, so my husband negotiated with him to buy the “One Dollar Cottage” itself and move it so that it can be preserved. We fell in love with it before we knew about its historic status, but now that we know we are even more dedicated to restoring the house to its former glory.
We secured all of the architectural elements that had not been stolen or destroyed, stabilized the house, and cleared the property it sat on so that we could move it to its new home. The house mover cut the house into ten pieces. A crane was used to remove the pieces of the third and second floors. The pieces were loaded on to handmade trailers, and the house was transported piece by piece to its new location a few miles away.
(Barnwell-DeCamps House) The Arthur Barnwell House is reputed to have been built between 1880 and 1900 by the Pelham Manufacturing Company as a residence for its first president, Arthur Barnwell, in conjunction with Pelham Mills. The house is significant for its association with the development of Pelham Mills, a cotton factory established in the 1880s, and architecturally as the only local example of the Queen Anne style. The mill village and mill ruins are located on the opposite bank of the Enoree River from the Barnwell House. The house is a two-and-one-half story wood frame residence supported by a brick pier foundation. Its irregular plan features two two-story polygonal bays projecting opposite each other on the northeast and southwest elevations and a one-story kitchen ell projecting from the northwest elevation. The house is sheathed in shiplap siding and has a steep gable roof. Exterior decorative features include white-painted horizontal and vertical boards contrasting with the yellow siding, which serve to define and delineate the fenestration of the first and second stories. Two interior and one exterior brick chimneys are located on the main block of the house. The roofing is modern composition shingle over the original metal roof. Located a short distance north of the house is a large barn featuring a raised brick foundation with common bond and round arch ventilation openings, mortise and tenon frame construction, a cross gable roof with monitor, weatherboard and shingle wall covering, and a raised seam metal roof. Listed in the National Register March 19, 1982.
View the complete text of the nomination form for this National Register property.
Most National Register properties are privately owned and are not open to the public. The privacy of owners should be respected. Not all properties retain the same integrity as when originally documented and listed in the National Register due to changes and modifications over time.
Images and texts on these pages are intended for research or educational use. Please read our statement on use and reproduction for further information on how to obtain a photocopy or how to cite an item.
Images provided by the